Saturday 29 November 2014

96M/100K Home Service at 88,994 miles - Part 2

Now where was I? having changed the pollen filters I moved on to the last part of this particular service, the transmission fluid.

At the 3 o' clock position is the hex filler bolt (17mm) whilst at the 6 o' clock position is the square 3/8" drive drain bolt.
The 2 transmission bolts, drain and filler, sit behind here, the passenger side hub and strut.
I used my 1/2" drive ratchet with extension bar and loosened with a little help from my biggest hammer. Thanks biggest hammer...
I was a bit disappointed when the transmission oil ran out looking so fresh. Still, I wasn't to know that although it was only done in Apr 12 at 65,325 miles (this was the 72M/75K service and it was due then). It was also due this time at 96M/100K so c'est la vie... 
This shot clearly shows the 2 holes, drain and filler. Let as much of the old oil drain out as possible.  
Re-fit the drain plug and then lash up a piece of plastic piping to a funnel and...
Run it down to the filler plug from the engine compartment...
Here it is going in to the filler. Then start to fill the funnel from above. Two problems I encountered here: first, the pipe had a very narrow bore and as the weather was coldish it took ages to flow 1.7 litres of transmission oil into the gearbox. Second, I had to hold the pipe to stop it coming out and lubricating the drive so my wife was on the other end filling the funnel which took about 20 minutes due to the slow flow of the oil. Not happy. Bigger pipe next time but this was all I had from our Karting days and it saved a trip out.

For completeness and to reiterate, the capacity of the EP3 Type R gearbox is 1.7 litres of this stuff - not engine oil.

And here it is all done.
Now, I wonder if I can sell any of this shit on eBay...
As a kind of postscript then, the car was due the 96 month or 100,000 mile service, around Oct 14. This car was a slow starter doing only 1500 miles in its first 18 months which is why it is a little behind schedule. I also spent a year overseas during which time it was virtually never used. The only thing that I haven't done that was due, at least according to the Honda service book, is inspect the valve clearances which I shall do when the rocker cover comes off and goes away for painting. Other than that it is now good to go.




















No comments:

Post a Comment